Transcending Challenges and Transforming Teams Through Positive, Powerful, and Custom Leadership Development Experiential Adventures
To become effective leaders (rather than managers) and win the respect and trust of their colleagues, emerging leaders need practice – practice creating a vision, honing communication skills, handling challenging situations, and making effective decisions. Colorado Wilderness Corporate and Teams’ outdoor leadership development programs push emerging leaders to challenge themselves and gain the confidence they need to lead. Compared to classroom programs, our wilderness-based exercises require participants to bring a team together and make critical decisions in an authentic way. Briefing, debriefing, and feedback from Colorado Wilderness Corporate and Teams’ staff, peers, and senior team enable emerging leaders to translate the learning into worksite application.
Colorado Wilderness works closely with your company to design the right program for your context and needs. Sample leadership development program components include:
- Translating Leadership Values into Practice: Emerging leaders take responsibility for organizing team efforts, generating choices, and demonstrating resolve. Activities require leaders to communicate clearly, maintain control, and perceive and respond to others’ reactions in high-stakes or time sensitive situations.
- Role Reversal: Participants plan and implement tasks typically done by colleagues both below and above them in the company hierarchy. Debriefing allows emerging leaders to recognize colleagues’ strengths, challenges of their roles, and opportunities to improve communication and productivity.
- Taking a Step Back: Rotating through a series of active challenges, emerging leaders take turns observing teammates’ interactions, leadership dynamics, stress management, and adaptability. Peer feedback allows for critical insights and worksite application.
- Leadership Challenge: Participants must model the way through a series of activities as they enable others to act, ensure inclusivity, demonstrate an understanding of vulnerability, and make the impossible possible.
- The Art and Science of Storytelling: With the natural world encouraging more open thinking, participants discover first how to tell their own story (through writing, photography, and other means), then how collectively to tell the story of your organization. By building the story together, participants see how each of their “characters” is critical to the storyline, or the path for moving the organization forward.
A great executive team often needs uninterrupted time to strategize methodically, discover strengths and weaknesses, and determine how best to lead their company to the highest success. Our Executive Retreats are built to bring out the best in the company’s top brass. We use programs that test physical, mental, and cognitive skills and help companies understand how their CEOs, CFOs, Chief Technology Officers, and other executive officers deal with managing both simple and complex situations. Our goal is to create a program that’s engaging and responsive to a company’s needs, while allowing for both individual and team growth.
Our custom program is based on your company’s unique structure and culture. No two programs are the same. Samples include:
- DiSC or ISI Assessment and Experiential Workshop: Both the DiSC (Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness) and ISI (Influence Style Indicator) are assessment tools used to identify personal preferences and behaviors. With self-knowledge and knowledge of others’ preferred styles, executive teams learn how to better tap into each others’ strengths, minimize conflict, and solve problems. We utilize the results of these assessments in designing challenging outdoor experiences that actively demonstrate each team members’ strengths and how different strengths’ complement each other to drive success.
- Overcoming the Challenge: As executive leaders strive to improve all aspects of their organization, they are often confronted with tough decisions about prioritization and growth. Companies struggling with a specific challenge or set of challenges benefit from time dedicated to addressing the problem. We customize a program that uses the outdoors to probe the sources of the struggle and find solutions. For example, we tap into the physical fears many experience with rock climbing to investigate fears of company change and explore what is needed to surmount those fears. We frame each activity to stimulate “out of the box” thinking and debrief as a team to foster collaboration and effective communication in moving forward.
- Leadership 360 and Strength Finder Experiential: We utilize the teachings of Kurt Hahn, founder of Outward Bound, and explore the Expeditionary Learning Principles (e.g., self-discovery, empathy, and collaboration) to bring out the best in executive leaders. We’ll discover how the natural world can be used to instill confidence, build leadership skills, foster collaboration, and improve decision-making capacities.
- Bringing Your Leadership Philosophy to Life: Many powerful executives hold a strong philosophy concerning leadership within their company. Beyond personal leadership styles, these philosophies, sometimes inspired by prominent writers in the field, can guide the entire executive team. However, a theoretical understanding of a specific philosophy and the ability to bring that philosophy to life through action and modeling can be quite different things. In this highly customized program, we work closely with your company’s CEO to understand their leadership philosophy and then design a series of activities that give the executive team experience in making that philosophy actionable.
Our goal is to create a uniquely tailored experience for your executive team that furthers the direction of your company. Call (720) 242-9828 to inquire about our executive retreats.